Wednesday, February 4, 2009

WHY DO BIRDS SUDDENLY APPEAR...


Today is a double-whammy!   I am blogging twice. It felt like cramming for high-school exams or meeting a deadline for a newspaper article.  It didn't matter much to me.  I am always good under pressure.  Even in school, I did better with essays, theses, case analyses and projects on short notices or last minute catch-ups.  The more I crammed, the better I got and the higher my grades/marks were.  When I was working on my Master's, I was always the last one to submit my case studies.  I once was warned by my facilitator about my "tardiness".   Back then, I always had an excuse and it always worked.  My being in the military had given me a leeway on deadlines, and most of my facilitators were actually more lenient to me because of my status as an active duty serviceman which, I admit, I used to my great advantage.  Enough of my false and made-up excuses.  Welcome to the real world.  Damn it!

I didn't go to school today.  No, silly!  I didn't miss nor skip classes.  The school administrators changed our classes from thrice a week to twice a week.  So, now I have another extra day of the week I need to preoccupy myself with something or I will bore to death.   I have not made any concrete agenda on what to do on my free Wednesdays...yet.  Today though, I decided to make use of it by catching up with my past lessons so I went to the city and spent almost 3 hours at Starbucks reviewing my notes and refreshing my memory.  In effect, it felt like I went to school after all, but with an extra bonus:  a venti mocha!    I thought about a friend, so I texted him and asked him to join me while I was taking a break from school work, but it's a work day and during normal working hours so that was a "no go".   I left Starbucks around 6:30pm and headed to the gym, and worked out until 9pm.    It was a productive Wednesday after all.  No complaints.  Well, let me rephrase that.  There was one.  

WORTHLESS RAMBLING OF THE DAY:  Funny thing happened on my way home as I was waiting for the bus by the main station on Mandraki.  The waiting shed is actually home to hundreds of pigeons, the flying rats!   They swarm the roof, the ceiling, the ledges and the columns.  In fact, they're everywhere.  And if there's one thing you should avoid when you're around these flying rodents is their habit of defecating anywhere, anytime on anything, or on anybody.   I've seen would-be passengers get pooped on on their heads/hair, or clothes, and I've seen other passengers laughed and made fun of those poor passengers.  Their dried feces are all over the pavement, its like their way of marking their territory.  I've laughed once or twice, maybe more times than I could remember.  Tonight, however, I did not laugh...not at all.  The laugh was on me!  I got pooped on!  One of those flying pests shit on me.  I had shit on my shirt. Shit, I had shit on me!

KARMA!

I picked up a bit of courage and dignity (whatever was left from the embarrassment, and the shitty smell), went to the souvlakia place, and asked for some paper napkins.  One girl, grinning (and maybe laughing subconsciously) helped me clean myself up.  "Δε πειραζαι", (pronounced:  De piraze) she said, meaning "Don't you worry".  "It always happens", she added.  Damn right, it does.  This time, it happened to me, on me.  I swear I would bring a BB gun the next time I waited for the bus and shoot those motherfuckers dead!  For a second, it made me wonder why would they choose that shed when there were hundreds of huge trees and thick foliage across the station (yes, a goddamn park!) where there were no humans around.  Then, it dawned me, those damned birds are...just like me, they long to be...close to you!

Na na na na. Close to you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment