Wednesday, February 4, 2009

IT'S BETTER LATE THAN...LATER.


I missed to blog yesterday (Tuesday).  I knew I had to write something down, and I knew I had to do it the same day otherwise I would forget in.  Tuesday is like my Monday.  So, figure what you guys usually do on Mondays and the craziness around it, and that's exactly what I go through on Tuesdays.

Let's see.  I woke up at 8:00 and did my usual early day routine.  I went to my Greek Language School around noon, and then hit the gym at around 3pm, and finished at 6pm.  I went to the city center and bought a pair of black shoes for €70 (and that was with 30 % discount), so roughly $105.  Forgive me, but I still can't help but do a quick currency conversion every time I spend money here, especially with the current economic situations back home in the US where the prices have gone down dramatically to entice people to consume.  Every time I went shopping, I would figure out how much the cost would be in dollars, then I would do internet searches on the product I just bought and literally feel sorry for the savings I could've saved had I bought the same merchandise in the US.  So, out of masochism, I checked how much my new pair of shoes cost in the US.  And the cheapest was:  $40...that's $65 cheaper from the "discounted" price I paid.  Son of a bitch!

Greece, and most European Union countries, have their semi-annual sales every January and August.  Prices are cut down to as much as 70% from the original prices.  You would find good deals sometimes, but most of the times, you pay as much as, if not more than the "sale" price back in the US.  Case in point:  my new black Clark's Flexlight Shoes.    One thing I noticed though is that American brand products are always much much more expensive here compared to European brand names like Armani, Versace,...well...DUH!  Anyway, I already have the shoes and I don't feel like going through the pains of returning and refunding so I'll just have to suffer my discount-shopping "boo-boos".  

I arrived home around 8:30 and had all the intentions on blogging but I felt so tired and sleepy so I followed what my body was telling me to do.  I knew I slept well, and possibly snored most of the night, because I woke up at 8am today (Wednesday) feeling refreshed and recharged.

WORTHLESS RAMBLING FROM YESTERDAY:   I tried to think of one thing that could've possibly made my blood pressure go up a notch but surprisingly, I think my Tuesday came and passed without any glitches.  So, I dug up an old email from a friend who was stationed with me in Larissa, Greece and came across an email about "how he would show up for appointments with locals half an hour late, be it personal (coffee/lunch/dinner/movies) or business (lawyer/doctor/landlord), and yet he would still be an hour earlier than the people he was supposed to meet".    On his email, he was asking me if it ever happened to me.  I don't remember responding to his email because I would've been making excuses for myself!  I don't think it's a local thing.  I don't think it's a cultural thing.  Some people, like me, just couldn't make it promptly or punctually on their appointments.   I would not call it procrastination or lack of courtesy.  I just happen to be, most often than not, late on my appointments.  For one, it takes me forever to get ready.  I am a bathroom person.  It takes me at least 2 hours to get ready.  Why don't I start early then?  Well, because I have other things to do!  I have priorities, too, you know.  My friends have known me so very well that they've learn few tricks to make me rid of this "not so good habit".   However, they've failed on occasions because am smart that way (grin!).  Come on, who eats lunch at 9 in the morning?  or brunch at 10?  and dinner at 3pm?  Give me a fucking break!   I think what matters is not that I show up annoyingly late or I make a dramatic entrance but the fact that I show up, come hell or high waters, and no matter what.  Need I say more?  

No comments:

Post a Comment