Friday, February 6, 2009

TO BUZZ OR NOT TO BUZZ: THAT IS THE DILEMMA


I guess by now, if you're following my blog, you'd realize that my day to day agenda is nothing but a routine. I practically do the same thing every day. No significant changes. It is as if I've never left the military. There is still some residual regimentations and a quasi-structured way of doing things and getting things done. Today, Thursday, is no different from any other Thursdays. School, gym, home. However, tonight, I went grocery shopping at Carrefour. Carrefour is a French company with franchises all over Europe. Usually on Thursdays, I go to the local farmers' market, called "λαικι" (pronounced "laiki") where I get my week's worth of fruits and vegetables. I found the prices very reasonable and the quality far better than what they sell on the supermarkets. But today, I was unable to go the the laiki because my class lasted a bit later so by the time I got to the market, it was almost closing time. So, minor change of plans. Instead of the laiki, we went to have the customary "coffee break" with two of my friends, then I headed to the gym around 4:30 and worked out until 7pm, then spent an hour at the supermarket.
One strange thing I do when I go grocery shopping here in Rhodes is I go to 3 different supermarkets in order to get all the things I need. I didn't have enough time tonight since everything closes at 8pm so I will continue with my grocery shopping at the remaining 2 supermarkets tomorrow before I get my haircut.
Haircut for me is a monthly routine. too. It's either I do it myself or, if I found a reliable barber, then I would see him with the same frequency. I've never worn my hair long, not even before I joined the military. Even after leaving the military, growing my hair longer than the usual never crossed my mind. In fact, I went a little edgy after my retirement by changing my hairstyle to much shorter than what I used to have when I was on active duty. It was something I decided to do 3 months before my "terminal leave" started. The weather in Northern Virginia was unbearably and miserably hot that summer so I went to a local barber shop and told the barber to use #3 all over. Yes, I got me a buzz cut!
I'm one of the few lucky ones in my family with a full set of hair. No thinning, no receding hairlines, no hair loss, no balding,no white hair...YET! I am not going to thank my genes because the same genes caused my brother's balding, so I guess am just lucky, or I might have gotten some kind of mutated or deviated gene. Mutant or not, deviant or not, am just glad all my hair are still here...until when? nobody knows.

WORTHLESS RAMBLING OF THE DAY: As I'm typing this posting, I am doing my second load of laundry. It's 2:50am, February 6. I couldn't go to sleep so laundry was the only thing productive to do while finishing this blog at the same time. In 7 hours, I would be getting my haircut, but am having second thoughts on whether I should get a regular trim, or buzz it all the way. I don't know a good barber here yet so there is a "trust" issue. I am not sure if I would get the buzz cut that I wanted or if I would feel bad for few days and hope my hair would grow back faster than usual so I could go try a different barber. I've told my friends about me getting a buzz cut and I got different reactions. Some good, some bad, some didn't care. I saw a very good friend, Rat, tonight and he said he goes to a very good one so I might give his barber/hairstylist a try. Another friend recommended me one several years back when I came to visit Rhodes in 2005 but he gave me a regular haircut and not a buzz cut. You might be thinking: "what's the big freaking deal? a buzz is a buzz is a buzz, it all depends on how short it is buzzed, but it's a buzz just the same.". Well, that's easy for you to say because it's not your hair and not your head...so shut the hell up! Let me go through my pondering and decide what to do. I'll be sleeping in few hours and all I am hoping is for a sign in a form of a dream. Now, I could feel Shakespeare's pain. I could relate to his confusion and bewilderment. To B, or not to B? do bi do bi do. You'll soon find out on my next picture posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment