Saturday, February 7, 2009

SAMSON' STRENGTH: UNDER THE WEATHER


This is the second time I am doing a blogging double-whammy.  I had every intentions to blog last night but I was so tired, to a point of exhaustion.  I didn't do anything extraordinary yesterday being a Friday.   I didn't leave and go to the center of Rhodes until 4pm, went to get a haircut, the gym, dinner, then home.  It was very uneventful, unless you would consider my dilemma on getting a buzz cut or not an event in itself.
I am not going to talk about the haircut. I am saving a whole posting on that evolution.  Besides, I have yet to take a picture to post it with.   
My work out routine on Friday was slightly changed.  Instead of my regular 5KM run, I decided to do a different cardio exercise.  I went to the Latin Aerobics which started at 6pm.  The crowd was predominantly Greek women who had no idea or inkling what Latin was.  I wonder if they initially th0ught Latin Aerobics was some kind of Ancient Roman Aerobics.  There were good 25 participants of varying ages (and sizes).  The instructor was a multi-lingual Swede named Aris.   The commands and instructions were generally in English and he would inject few Greek words and phrases.   I am somewhat familiar with the Latin moves since I took some lessons (as a gift) in Los Angeles, CA, and I've attended Latin and Salsa Aerobics at Bally's, and frequented Latin and Salsa bars.
Anyway, true to my hunch, the rest of the group was at a total loss.  They couldn't even do a simple cha-cha or box step.  If you are not familiar with traditional Greek dances, their movements are pretty much basic, it's like a 12 step line dancing.,  i.e, few steps here, a few steps there, and you move sideways.  So, the Latin steps were absolutely new to them.


If you're watching them perform just for the sake of watching and not being observant, you would think they're dancing exactly the same steps only with different music and costumes.  When we (group of American servicemen) went to a taverna with Greek dancing for the first time, we were like:  "Is that all there is to it?" We were waiting for extra fancy moves and sequence but we were there until almost 5am doing the same thing.  One common observation that non-Greeks have is that we noticed that Greeks won't dance to top 40 dance music, or disco music.  When a non-Greek fast danceable music is being played, you would only see their heads bobbing and shoulders slightly moving, but you would never see them run and swarm the dancefloors, but once a Greek music is played, it's like "save and mark your own spot on the dance floor because we will be dancing until we can't dance anymore!" OPA!
Anyway, back to my Latin Aerobics.  The instructor had a little hard time demonstrating and explaining one Latin move to the next.  From cha-cha to basic rumba, to basic tango steps.  I think he kind of ran out of patience and just did his own thing while we followed him.  After a bloody 55 minutes, it was over.  I am sure Aris, the instructor, was more excited and looking forward to getting it over with than anybody else.  
I thought I burnt some decent calories because I was sweating, though not as much had I ran my 5K.  I went up straight to the weight room and lifted weights for 1 1/2 hours.  Then, had a quick dinner downtown and headed home.  Oh, I even had a generous amount of Yoghurt-Walnut-Honey Ice Cream from Stani, a Turkish sweet and pasty shop. 
I got home and instantly felt unusually cold.  I put on my sweats and gradually feeling very burnt out.  I thought it must've been from the aerobics and the work-out.  I was almost a breath away from being dead when I dozed off.  During the night, I was waking up intermittently because I could feel my joints hurting and feeling colder and colder.  I knew then that I was coming down with something.  I was able to sleep on and off.  I woke up on Saturday at 7:30, I could hardly stand and walk, I did a quick Number #1, then went back to bed and slept until almost 10am.  I woke up still miserably sore.  Every single joint and bone in my body were like wrestling with each other.   I got up, made a hot cocoa and jumped in the shower.  I felt a bit better after the hot shower.  Now, am back in bed blogging, still feel a bit under the weather.

WORTHLESS RAMBLING FROM YESTERDAY/EARLY THIS MORNING:  I was wondering why would I feel so exhausted and my body aches when I didn't work out that much.  Compared to previous or other work out regimes, yesterday's was a freaking piece of cake.  
Wait a minute!...could it be that it was all because of me cutting my hair?  Could I have lost all my strength, stamina, endurance and resiliency when the barber snipped my hair?  I hardly get sick.  I can't even remember the last time I was physically down because of an illness.  I know for a fact though that when I get sick, I really get sick.  I mean, really goddamn sick!  I'm going to see how my body reacts in few hours.  I am thinking about going to the gym tonight and use the steam or sauna, that usually helps.  Or, I might just find a Delilah to blame it all on to. 

1 comment:

  1. The best videos of the time | youtube
    › youtube › youtube YouTube Apr 14, 2020 — Apr 14, 2020 These videos are available to view on YouTube. I have a list of the top rated YouTube videos of the The channel is convert youtube to mp3 also

    ReplyDelete