Wednesday, January 28, 2009

WHY "RETARD"?

I know that by me using the word "retard" would raise some eyebrows. I may be called insensitive by some, mean by others and politically incorrect by most. But hear me out, people. I didn't and don't mean to demean, degrade, impugn, mock, discriminate or disrespect anybody in any way, shape or form. The term "retard" here has a somewhat military connotation. Like more of a term of endearment. Military folks and families would grasp the meaning when it is used to address military retirees. It's a jargon and colloquial term derived from the word "retired" as in "a retiree". The word "retired" when pronounced faster than usual, or with accent could sometimes sound like "retard". As some of you may not know, I just retired and finished some many odd years in the military service (United States Navy). Friends and family would sometimes greet me with "How's the retard?" or "How's the retard life?" or "How's the retard life treating you"?

A little trivia: The picture on this post was almost 2 years ago. It was taken outside PSD/CSD Dahlgren Building one afternoon after our PT (physical training), and it's the only picture I saved on a disk that is military-related. Notice the uniforms hanging by the door knob? I don't even remember having a picture with me in my military uniforms (well, except my boot camp pictures, of course). Dahlgren is a very small city in Northern Virginia which lies on the border of Maryland. I worked and was stationed there for almost 2 years as the Chief Petty Officer in Charge of the Personnel Support Detachment/Customer Service Desk. We primarily offered administrative, personnel, financial, travel and transportation services to military and retired personnel and their families, both US and visiting foreign military personnel.

WORTHLESS RAMBLINGS OF THE DAY: I was craving cucumbers yesterday. For some strange reasons, my taste buds were screaming for cucumbers with vinegar. My mouth was salivating with just the mere thought of the vinegary concoction. So, when I went to shop early this evening, I bought a kilo (that's over 2 pounds) of English cucumbers. I've been home for over 5 hours now and the cucumbers are still in the fridge, untouched. And my cravings? It's gone. Just like that! Now, what would I do with 2 kilos of cucumbers?

I noticed after I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes (Diabetes Mellitus) four years ago that I would get occasional food cravings, like a conceiving pregnant woman. I would oftentimes crave anything with chocolates, ice cream, pasta, potato chips, steamed vegetables and...cucumbers. I wonder if the symptoms are finally catching up on me since I was diagnosed with the adult onset diabetes with no known symptoms. Or, could it be that old age is slowly creeping in on me? or could I be pregnant?

I am and have always been a foodie. I love to eat, I would eat anything. Eating is the only vice I have. For me, eating is a hobby, it's a passion, it's an addiction. So, maybe I may not be pregnant after all. I am just simply...addicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment